Community over Competition
“Community over competition is competition rightly ordered” – says the Rising Tide Society. Understanding that the best businesses serve two audiences; our clients and our community.
Competition is good when it is not at the expense of either of those audiences. Competition is a fantastic part of our lives, is spurs us on to do better, and achieve more. Yet, life is not a competition, our industry is not about winning and overwhelming. If I have learnt anything over the 26 years I have worked, it is that “life is about relationships, and who you keep for company”. I recently read that leading the way down a different path is a new and much better approach. The path leads to a place of less noise and mayhem. A place that is simple and unpolluted, where innovation is queen or king. A place where you don’t have to overcome the nonsense before you can make a difference. A place where growth and success is not inextricably linked to breaking old rules first.
Seth Godin says in his book Tribes.
So HWC is choosing to initiate a new initiative (as you may have guessed by now).
Initiating trumps reacting, or responding, because it is what leaders and innovators do. Which one are you? I initiate this because I am grasping something people are currently ignoring. It is about causing the events that others, in turn, react to. It is about making a change, a change to an industry set in its ways, that is noisy and often impenetrable. Exclusive, and cliquey, rather than inclusive and powerful.
It is a fact that when you encourage amazing people. Give them a space in which to be unique. Then the freedom to act within it. Asking them to show up. Asking them to embrace new opportunities to shine. Amazing things will happen, look at how much we have achieved to date.
The Rising Tide says Community over competition isn’t:
- A call to prop up businesses that don’t serve others well
- A call to undercut the competition
- To act with deprecative humility, by putting yourself down to lift others up
- They say it is a call to serve others, both your clients and your community
We are the Hampshire Wedding Club, and this is what we are going to do, TOGETHER.
- Be transparent, vibrant and visible
- Make the movement bigger than any one person
- Grow and thrive
- Change the status quo, and break some rules
- Paint a picture of what we want the Hampshire wedding industry to look like, and go there
- Remember that it will take collaboration, action, consistency and commitment
- Engage with suppliers and couples
Follow us on social media here:
HAMPSHIRE SUPPLIERS SUBSCRIBE FOR OCCASIONAL EXCITING UPDATES, INDUSTRY INSPIRATION, MORE EVENTS AND TIPS!